The Bleeding Portrait
make The Bleeding Portrait first I found a picture I liked and scanned it into
my computer. After a little retouching in Photoshop I printed it tilling it
onto 7 sheets of paper. Then put the pieces together and spray glued them to
a piece of foam core. Mix acrylic paint to match the colors in the painting
to blend any seems. I made the frame from old cedar shingles.
I cut molding and shaped it with my dremel tool. For the cornices I first sculpted them in plastaline clay and made a plaster mold. I was originally going to mold them with instant paper mache but it did not work. I tried something a little strange. I pressed clay into the mold and made 4 identical cornices. Then mixed wood putty with water to make a creamy mixture.
painted the clay with this giving it about 50-60 coats drying in-between. This
produced a surprisingly hard finish. After a few coats of varnish I sprayed
with copper and gold paint.
The painting is placed in the frame at a slight angle tipping in at the bottom. A long plastic container is mounted at the bottom of the frame in the back to catch the blood. In the container
I mounted a small pump the circulates the blood through a tube and out a gash I cut in the paintings neck.
|Outlined in yellow are the side panels I attached to the sides of the painting. This helps to keep the painting tilted forward in the frame allowing the blood the flow down and into the tray.|
|This is the back of the painting. You can see the tube running from the pump to the gash.|
The tray and pump assembly.
|The blood for the the Bleeding Portrait is made from water, food coloring, and non-dairy creamer. I mixed 2 cups of hot water with one bottle of red food coloring and 4 drops of blue. Then I stired in 2 tablespoons of non-dairy creamer to make the mixture more opague. To make the blood flow off the painting I gave several coats of varnish and a final coat of Rain-X.|